Sunday, April 8, 2012

Check Lists & Preparations


"Taxes were filed as I’ll be at sea on the 17th April. Online registration completed with Azamara to obtain my Xpress Boarding Pass for Tuesday"

As I get closer to departure, my blog is most likely going to take on a more personal “journalistic” tone. More accounts of sights, sounds and thoughts, rather than historical profiles.  My hope is to be able to share the experience, the ship, the people connected with this journey, the events, the dinners, the talks and new friends about to be made. Just wondering how this is all going to fall into place and how the reality of what is to come will jive with what I have envisioned. Feelings are bubbling to the surface.. anticipation, excitement, apprehension... mixed emotions as this long awaited sailing date is now only two days away. 


A little panic is setting in as I try to gather all the various items required to take along, as well as organize what needs to be taken care of at home. Taxes were filed as I’ll be at sea on the 17th April. Online registration completed with Azamara to obtain my Xpress Boarding Pass for Tuesday.  Credit card and passport details entered and luggage tags arrived in the mail.

I have been compiling a vital check list so as not to forget anything. Earlier, I had to go through my wardrobe making sure any clothing that needed dry cleaning was sent out in time and now adding to the check list a note to pick everything up again!  I still have to select exactly what to bring, how many layers. Halifax, our first stop, has been in the 30’s with an anticipated high of 50 for Thursday.  The North Atlantic can still be quite cold this time of year, as it was 100 years ago. At present, Marine Weather Forecasts show anticipated waves between 3-5 meters at TITANIC site with high pressure and winds between 10-15 knots, Sea tempurature between 46-50 F.



My challenge is to try and pack everything in a manageable size suitcase and carry-on. It’s not exactly like in 1912 when a steamer trunk was standard fare. I will also be taking along additional equipment to record this event, video blog, interviews with Mr. Miller and others willing to be put on tape.  In addition to my HD video camera, along comes a new tripod, rechargeable camera lights, wireless microphone as well as laptop. I need to make sure all power cables, adapters, headsets, batteries & lots of video tape are packed.


In between, I’d like to straighten up the house a little, clean those piles of papers and mail off the dining room table!  On top of everything before I leave for New York and Manhattan Cruise Terminal, Pier 88 (the same pier where the NORMANDIE burned and capsized),  I have to make a quick visit to the Dentist to have a permanent crown exchanged for the temporary one still in my head!
It all manages to get done, but time always seems fleeting... more installments to follow as the real adventure is about to begin.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment